Tuesday, March 16, 2010

24th year miracles

I have some bad news for you guys....really really really bad news...
I am 24 years old. OMG. I know I always crib about my age- be it 20 or 24. But this year I am depressed for real.


I dono how this happened? I remember clearly, I was so proud on my 18th birthday...freedom, friends were the only thing on my mind. No mundane thoughts...feels like yesterday. I dont know how the years just passed by. I am not kidding.


With age comes (unnecessary) responsibility and the chance to get to hear from auntigalu...


I got a chance to participate in this earth shattering conversation...
This started as a casual talk between my friend and her mom. I happened to join them by chance but I loved it.


Friend's Mom : Girls, you are no longer kids. You guys need to understand how to behave in public places".
My friend was the 1st to react "Mom. what the hell is this?"
That was exactly my sentiments.
This dint stop her mom. She continued " You girls should stop wearing jeans and all the other nonsense stuff like..the earring that you are wearing". She pointed to me.
"Hello, excuse me!!!", I exclaimed, ofcourse in my mind.
My friend who for some reason did not find it apt to stop her mom at this juncture, waited for the next comment. "Look at Tulsi... She looks so beautiful and yesht lakshanavagi idhale. Bottu itkondu, balle haakondu...olle hudgi maathra. On the other hand look at look at Bipasha. She is always watching movies. English nalle maathadthale.", she continued.
"Hello. Excuse me!!!" I again exclaimed, ofcourse in my mind.
"You know Lakshmi...She never speaks. I dont know why!! You should speak when guests come home, girls. Being silent seems arrogant. Kobbu ankothaare."She said.
"Hey Bhagwan, mujhe utthale!!!!" I again exclaimed in my mind.
My friend somehow read my mind and started to divert her attention.
Alas, her mom continued, "But you know, Bipasha thumba maathadthale. Kobbu avlge. She does not care at all. Too much I say, alva ma?" she asked me.
I smiled back. Now my friend and I started to feel dizzy.
Now, my friend's grandma pitched in. "I never allowed your mother to talk to any boy in her life. But nowadays I see that a girl talking to another girl should also be restricted".
My friend and I shifted from our places and moved apart by a few inches.
"and girls, after a certain age, you should stop wearing these funky watches or these rings", again she pointed to me.
OMG, am I dreaming? somebody please pinch me or better somebody please stab me.  
"by the way, do you know how to cook? atleast basic saaru and palya? because my daughter is a moron. she cant even boil water."
"I can boil water easily aunty", I mocked.
"Dont mind my question aaythama? I am just trying to help you girls" my friend's mother said. "You have very less time left. You know that right".
"Yup", my friend and I said in chorus. Thus the conversation ended and I started to think on a serious note...
Do guys also get to hear such noble thoughts? and what would that be?

5 comments:

Adam said...

One of the many occasions I'm happy to be a guy! Wohoo.. What would have made this conv complete is if aunty said "With greater age comes greater responsibility".. You have very little time lefta? :D That was hilarious..

Anusha said...

LOL. This is like a criminal conversation man. Seriously.
Somebody explain to me whats the big deal with jeans!
And waah-so less time left. You should've replied back-Houdu aunty. 2012 innenu bande bidtu. :D

shilpa said...

@Adam..So I can conclude that you never had such conversations. Is this a general statement or have you been spared?

@Anusha..I can tolerate jeans but whats the problem with earrings..I mean c'mon...I guess they just want us to wear salwar (with sleeves and esp. plain coloured) and wear gold jewelery. phull gold angadi thara irbeku.

Anusha said...

Ah well,then i'd say to Mister God,thank you for my mum. She insists i wear junk jewellery since later I would anyway end up wearing gold when im a 'lady'.

shilpa said...

Thats exactly my point. we are told everything about that "LATER" life. We are told to do watever we like in the coming years. why why? are guys told the same? I dnt think so. They hav all their life to enjoy ;) morons